Jeff Garlin on His First Comedy Inspiration and New Netflix Movie Handsome

ABC’s The Goldbergs star Jeff Garlin uses his acting, writing, producing and directing talents in the mystery movie Handsome, now streaming on Netflix. Garlin plays a bumbling homicide detective who is sharper than people think. The Chicago-born comic, 54, will also return to his role as Larry David‘s manager on HBO’s Curb Your Enthusiasm later this year.
filmzap

What sparked the idea for Handsome?
It started with talking to the head of Netflix about how much I loved Columbo. We also talked about doing a stand-up special in a unique way. So I was combining a stand­up special with a Columbo-type thing, but I cut the stand-up.

You have two sons in real life—James, 20, and Duke, 16. How would you compare your parenting style to your character Murray on The Goldbergs?

I am a very loving father and I don’t call my kids names. On the flip side, my kids are the same age as the kids on the show, so when I come home, I say, “Did I leave work? What the heck’s going on?” lt kind of blurs the line.

Who was your first comedy inspiration?
I went to see Jimmy Durante when I was 8 years old, and I asked my parents if that was a job, and they said it was, and I said, “That’s the job I want.”

Do you still perform in comedy clubs?
I perform live every week in Los Angeles at Flappers and The Comedy Store, and then every month at Largo at the Coronet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jason David Frank Ejected From Power Rangers Premiere

Here’s an Amazing Short that Bridges Prometheus and Alien: Covenant

International Box Office: Beauty Nears $900 million With $66.5 million